You surely have some lights at home you wish you could control with your voice. Then you went on internet or your local store only to find out that the lamps you’d like to have are far from being smart. Of course, Philips Hue does nice lamps, but they don’t do everything. I like those hanging lamps, over my bar in my kitchen, so I thought “Hey, why not actually turn this one into a smart lamp?
So I planned the transformation…. Went online, bought a Philips Hue led strip and a remote (one more….), took the lamp off my ceiling and started the work, by unscrewing the nice glass plate that protects the inside, the original leds.
Then I started taking the leds off, they were attached by 2 screws plus a funny plastic band that is not gluing but still holds tight…
Took them all off, carefully, as they can still be of some use later
Then I had to find a place for the Philips Hue receiver…. I could have hidden it in the lamp base but that was taking the risk of if not being controllable. And those hanging lamps can go up and down, the current is transmitted by both cables. Philips Hue led stripes need 6 cables (VCC, warm white, cold white, red, green, blue). Decided to glue it on top of the led base. Then came the painful moment, the moment when you cut your brand new hardware cable. At that point, you know there’s no going back…
For that little receiver, I needed to get power, as the original, through the hanging cables. So, I had to make a little hole just beside it….
Then connecting the receiver to the lamp cables was very simple
Ok, this part was done, now, I needed to place the Philips power adapter and get rid of the 48v original supply
Lucky me, the Philips power adapter come with the removable pins, to maximize compatibility across countries… So well, I decided not to use any pin, unsoldered the wires from the original power adapter, resoldered them on the Philips supply, before gluing it in the lamp base.
Now, powering the two lamp cables is done through very easily. I used the original Philips Hue cable that came with, the other end I had cut from the receiver and mounted the two metal pieces on them before placing them back on place. With the gravity, the metallic cables holding your lamp are always on contact with these little metal pieces, powering your lamp!
Another hole later for the 6 cables of the Philips receiver, a whole bunch of soldering and some taping later, the led stripe is placed in the lamp!
Then came the first powering test… I unfortunately did not take any picture…. Why? Because, you know, Philips does mark where you can cut the stripe. But I seldom follow the rules and decided to cute where I wanted… Big mistake, never do that! A whole bunch of leds at the end weren’t working anymore…. So I started to rework the band and resoldering the missing resistance on the stripe…. And I turned the start connector around, to gain some more space
A lot of Tesa tape later, the plastic shell of the led stripe removed, the stripe was finally placed in its shell. If you look carefully, the band is bent at the end, because I didn’t want to make the same mistake again and cut the band where I’m not supposed to…
First powering test! It works! Jumped on my phone and tried to detect the led strip, which I did almost instantly!
The nice glass protection was originally screwed on the lamp, but I couldn’t go through the led stripe anymore, so… Tesa here we go again!!
Placing the lamp back on it place…. Apart from the little white box, the Philips Hue Receiver and controller, it looks as it always did! And let there be light!
Then of course, this topic is titled “Project Alice” so it’s voice controlled! Here a very short video of it:
I hope you enjoyed this little hack! Dev safe!